The core data and voice networks within most global telecommunications service providers are now predominantly IP-based. Wherever possible, service providers are adopting IP due to cost advantages, the extended service reach it provides and its proven resiliency. While IP-based communications offer many significant benefits, at the interconnection point between peering partners, the use of IP comes with its own set of challenges.
The Sonus SBC is designed to sit at the border between carriers and provide an intelligent interconnection between partner networks. Critical to any peering environment, the SBC delivers the following functions:
- Securing the network border
- Enforcing Quality of Service (QoS) policies
- Transcoding media and providing codec interworking, Dual Tone Multi Frequency (DTMF), fax interworking
- Traversing intermediate Network Address Translation (NAT) and firewalls
- Ensuring regulatory compliance