Raymond P. Dolan, President and Chief Executive Officer
Todd A. Abbott, Executive Vice President, Strategy & Go-To-Market
Maurice (Moe) Castonguay, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Matt Dillon, Senior Vice President, Global Services and Systems Management
Tony Scarfo, Senior Vice President, Technology Development
Jeffrey M. Snider, Senior Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer and General Counsel
Nancy M. Maluso, Vice President and General Manager, Communication Applications
David Tipping, Vice President and General Manager, SBC Business
Wes Durow, Vice President of Marketing & Go-To-Market Operations
Bill Scudder, Vice President and Chief Information Officer
Board of Directors
James K. Brewington, Sonus Director and Former President of Lucent Technologies
John P. Cunningham, Sonus Director and Former Senior Vice President of Finance and Operations of Citrix Systems, Inc.
Beatriz V. Infante, Sonus Director and CEO of BusinessExcelleration LLC
Howard E. Janzen, Sonus Director and Chairman; and President and CEO of Cool Planet Energy Systems, Inc.
John A. Schofield, Sonus Director and Former President, CEO and Chairman of the Board of Advanced Fibre Comm., Inc.
Scott E. Schubert, Sonus Director and Former CFO of TransUnion LLC
H. Brian Thompson,Sonus Director and Executive Chairman, Global Telecom and Technology, Inc.
Raymond P. Dolan, Sonus Director, President and CEO
Executive Team Biographies
Raymond P. Dolan
President and Chief Executive Officer
A decisive leader who coaches his teams to “play to win,” Ray was named president and CEO of Sonus in 2010. Ray brings 25 years of experience in the telecommunications industry and his own passionate style of thoughtful, deliberate leadership.
Ray’s background includes:
- Executive leadership roles at QUALCOMM/Flarion Technologies
- Prior to its acquisition by QUALCOMM in 2006, Chairman and CEO of Flarion
- COO of NextWave Telecom
- Leadership positions at BellAtlantic/NYNEX Mobile (predecessor to the current Verizon)
- Manager of Network Operations at PacTel Cellular
A U.S. Naval Academy graduate with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Ray was an officer in the U.S. Marine Corp. and spent more than seven years as a tactical jet pilot.
Ray is also a Board Member of American Tower Corporation (NYSE: AMT) and holds a M.B.A. degree from the Columbia University School of Business.
A quote that reflects his personal and business philosophy is from US President Theodore Roosevelt – "Better to dare mighty things, win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure . . . than rank with poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Todd A. Abbott
Executive Vice President of Strategy & Go-To-Market
Todd joined Sonus in 2011 to lead the development and execution of the worldwide go-to-market plan for Sonus. In September 2012, Todd was appointed Executive Vice President of Strategy & Go-To-Market. In this role, Todd oversees the strategic planning, portfolio management, marketing, channel enablement and sales functions at Sonus.
A leader with the expertise to establish strategic direction and the ability to develop an execution driven culture, Todd brings to the company his characteristic intensity and 30 years of sales experience in the computer and networking industries, including living and managing businesses in Asia and Europe.
Prior to Sonus, Todd held positions as:
- Senior Vice President, Worldwide Sales and Marketing and President, Field Operations at Avaya
- Executive Vice President, Worldwide Sales, Marketing and Service at Seagate
- Senior Vice President, Worldwide Sales at Symbol Technologies
- Group Vice President of Service Providers in Europe and Vice President of South Asia at Cisco
- He began his career in sales and sales management at IBM
Other than his biggest passion – spending time with his wife and three children – Todd enjoys skiing, golfing, cycling, surfing, and hiking and traveling internationally to experience different cultures of the world. He firmly believes that "confidence comes not from always being right, but not fearing to be wrong."
Maurice (Moe) Castonguay
Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Moe Castonguay is Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Sonus Networks. He brings over 30 years of High Tech experience, as well as 20 years as a CFO to the Company. Moe previously worked for BigBand Networks from March 2008 to April 2010. Prior to that, from November 2006 to September 2007, he worked for Acopia Networks, Inc. which was acquired by F5 Networks, Inc. Prior to that, from March 2006 to September 2006, he worked for Broadbus Technologies which was acquired by Motorola, Inc. He also was CFO of MatrixOne, Inc. from January 1999 to August 2004, which he took public in March of 2000. He also was CFO of Stratus Computer, Inc. from August 1997 to December 1998 when they were acquired by Ascend Communications, Inc. He also served as CFO for a number of other privately held and publicly-traded companies. He also served on the Boards of Cedar Point Communications, Inc from March 2005 to February 2010 and Media100, Inc. from February 1997 to November 2004. Moe is a Certified Public Accountant. He received a B.S. in Accounting and M.S. in Taxation from Bentley College as well as an M.B.A. from Babson College.
Senior Vice President, Global Services and Systems Management
Sonus’ Senior Vice President of Global Services and Systems Management, Matt has been with the company 4,135 days and counting. Despite a diverse area of responsibility, Matt views himself first and foremost as a customer facing “Service Guy,” leading a team of hard-core professionals who live and breathe complex, scalable networks. The pace is unrelenting, the stress intense, but Matt stipulates he is invigorated working every day with his incredible team supporting the world’s most demanding customers in all facets of the Sonus experience.
Matt brings more than 30 years of service leadership experience and tenacity to Sonus, where he oversees all customer delivery functions, including TAC and Field Support, Professional Services, Network Design, Verification Labs and Training as well as Sustaining and EMS engineering.
Before joining Sonus in 2001, Matt held several positions including:
- Founding member of Boston Technology (later purchased by Comverse); alpha product platform design, deployment and support, and later launching and supporting in region markets for the expanding customer base of RBOC and service providers across the US, EMEA and Asia-Pacific
- Field Engineering then Contracts and Regional Operations Management at Fisk Telephone (later purchased by Centel)
Self-described as “steady, boring, doesn’t get out much," he brightens when asked about his favorite quote, “That’s bold talk for a one-eyed fat man (John Wayne in the movie “True Grit”). Matt contends that this is hands down the best film of all time and the lesson demonstrated is that “it’s not bragging if it’s true.” That's why he is comfortable crowing about Sonus Services as the best in the business. It's not bragging when it's true.
Senior Vice President, Technology Development
As Senior Vice President, Technology Development, Tony Scarfo is in charge of Product Development and Global Engineering.
Tony has more than 30 years of experience in telecommunications and brings a unique combination of talents given the variety of roles he has held in his career. Having lead Business Units, Business Development and Alliance Teams as well as Sales and Channel Teams, Tony has a deep understanding of Sonus technologies and a broad perspective on the markets we serve.
Prior to joining Sonus in 2011, Tony held positions as:
- Vice President of Global Service Providers and System Integrators at Polycom Inc. where he was responsible for developing Polycom's Cloud strategy to deploy video and voice infrastructure for Managed and Hosted Unified communications services. He was responsible for developing and selling integrated solutions with partners such as Microsoft, Avaya, IBM, Juniper and Broadsoft.
- Chief Strategy Officer and Head of Global Channels at ECI Telecom where he led the development of a multi-faceted business strategy and developed a partner program with strategic and OEM partners.
- Vice President of Global Alliances and Partnerships at Juniper Networks.
- Vice President of Marketing and Business Development at Unisphere Networks.
- He started his career at AT&T and held leadership roles at Lucent Technologies.
Working in the high-tech industry has given Tony an opportunity to discover one of his greatest passions: travelling the world. His travel philosophy is reflected in the Henry Miller quote, “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.”
Jeffrey M. Snider
Senior Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer and General Counsel
As Senior Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer and General Counsel, Jeff ensures that the talent resources, operational facilities and legal support collectively serve the strategic plan for Sonus. Jeff holds global responsibility for leading Sonus’ talent acquisition, development and retention efforts. He also manages the legal function at Sonus, including commercial transactions, intellectual property, litigation, ethics and business compliance. Further, Jeff’s role encompasses the operations management of company buildings and grounds and facilities planning for the future needs of Sonus.
During his more than 20 years of experience, including 15 years as general counsel within public and privately traded companies, Jeff has been a change agent who has strengthened leadership teams by identifying and executing strategies that led to the achievement of corporate and operational goals.
Prior to joining Sonus in 2009, Jeff held positions as:
- Executive Vice President and General Counsel of Bankruptcy Management Solutions, Inc., a provider of hardware, software and services for the bankruptcy industry
- Senior Vice President and General Counsel, Geac Computer Corporation, Ltd., a global software and services provider, where he helped the company triple its market cap to $1B before its sale
- Senior Vice President and General Counsel with the original management team at Lycos, where he helped build the company from a start-up search engine to an industry-leading Internet conglomerate with a $12B market cap when his team sold the company
- He began his legal career at the Boston law firm of Hutchins & Wheeler
Jeff builds furniture and tinkers with old cars and motorcycles when he isn’t helping companies grow and succeed.
Nancy M. Maluso
Vice President and General Manager, Communication Applications
Nancy joined Sonus in 2011 as Vice President and General Manager of the Communications Applications Solutions Division. Her mission is to help businesses improve the way they communicate using Cloud-based session management solutions. Her energetic style and her more than 20 years of service, sales and marketing experience in the computer systems, networking and telecommunications markets are helping her accomplish this goal, which will be critical to Sonus’ long term growth strategy.
Before Sonus, Nancy held roles as:
- Vice President of Unified Communications Marketing; Area Vice President of Sales; Director of New Business Development for Global Managed Services; Senior Director of Global Sales Enablement at Avaya
- Prior to Avaya, Nancy launched and managed a business providing Application Service Provider (ASP) and outsourcing services to e-businesses
An early creator of Cloud computing solutions, Nancy is very familiar with the pros and cons of these hot new delivery models. She’s a tireless customer advocate who understands how to improve their businesses through the use of effective communications. She says she never tires of walking, including walking the talk to help her customers achieve success. A favorite quote is “If you plant ice you’re going to harvest wind.
Vice President and General Manager, SBC Business
A long-time veteran of Sonus who says “the earth was cooling when I joined,” David is Vice President and General Manager of the SBC Business where all of his energy is focused on aggressively advancing the company’s position in the SBC market segment by driving innovation and product delivery into global markets.
Prior to this role, David held positions as:
- Vice President of Worldwide System Engineering for Sonus
- Customer-facing roles supporting key accounts in the Mid-West and New England for Enterasys/Cabletron Systems
Considering his favorite movie is “Miracle,” his favorite song is "Pumped up Kicks," and a quote he lives by is “Winning isn’t everything . . . it is the only thing,” it is not surprising David is determined to help Sonus win the number one spot in the SBC market.
Vice President of Marketing & Go-To-Market Operations
Wes joined Sonus in 2011 as Vice President of Global Marketing to expand the company’s marketing, sales enablement and channel activation efforts worldwide. He is an experienced change catalyst with a 20 year track record helping global companies develop and execute integrated business and marketing plans.
Prior to Sonus, Wes held positions as:
- Chief Marketing Officer at Fonality, where he focused on accelerating the adoption of Unified Communications in a Software-As-A-Service model.
- Vice President and General Manager of Global Marketing for Avaya after the company acquired Nortel’s Enterprise division
- Wes was with Nortel for 12 years in a number of leadership roles, most recently leading end-to-end marketing, go-to-market and strategy efforts for Nortel’s Enterprise business
- He began his career in advertising helping to build brands for companies like American Airlines, Pace Picante Sauce, NationsBank (now Bank of America), The Dial Corporation and GTE (now Verizon)
Noting the one word he says that sums him up is “persistent,” Wes consistently demonstrates his belief in the expression “Good is the enemy of great.”
Vice President and Chief Information Officer
Bill joined Sonus in 2008 as Vice President and Chief Information Officer to drive technology innovation and transform how Sonus communicates and collaborates by using its own solutions internally.
A determined technology leader, Bill is an expert at organizational transformation and has extensively leveraged Cloud-based/SaaS solutions for efficiency and time-to-value advantage.
Prior to joining Sonus, Bill held positions as:
- Senior Director at EMC, leading IT for its RSA Security Division after its acquisition and effecting the organizational and IT integration of the two companies, while also implementing a new CRM solution, Salesforce.com.
- From 2000-2006, he held senior IT positions at RSA Security, leading a number of large systems implementations.
- He held executive positions at Smith & Nephew, a $2B global manufacturer of medical devices and consumer healthcare products from 1992 until 2000.
Bill was named “2011 CIO of the Year” by the Massachusetts Technology Leadership and firmly believes in continually learning and evolving your “personal toolset.” Like US President Theodore Roosevelt, his personal style is to “speak softly and carry a big stick.”