Sonus Diameter Signaling Controllers
The demand on mobile networks is expected to grow exponentially with the exploitation of mobile broadband and increasing consumption of Internet of Things (IOT) services from a vast array of devices. Diameter signaling messages in mobile networks is expected to grow correspondingly. Smartphones alone generate several Diameter signaling messages each time they access an application, download data, roam on a different network, and even when they’re simply turned on and off. The Sonus family of DSCs is designed to address the performance, capacity, scalability and roaming needs of the mobile networks for this rapidly expanding market.
Control Diameter Signaling in 4G/LTE Networks
- Secure network borders through IPsec encryption, DoS protection, and network topology hiding
- Prevent network element overload and service interruptions through load balancing
- Advanced capabilities that allow operators to overcome Diameter protocol and node interoperability issues
- Interwork Diameter and MAP protocols for LTE interoperability with 2G/3G networks
- Manage the complexity of Diameter signaling messaging through 4G/LTE.
SS7 Signaling Transfer Point (STP) in 2G, 3G Networks and Circuit Switch services on LTE networks
SS7 signaling networks were first deployed in the early 1980s, but continue to be the foundation for 2G, 3G and ciruit switched services on LTE networks to support voice and text communication. The need for SS7 STPs will continue for decades and service providers are looking for venders who will continue to offer solutions. The DSC solution provides essential STP functionality for core, edge and interconnect deployments.
The Sonus DSC 8000 and DSC SWe provide the critical functions of centralized core and edge routing for Diameter and SS7 protocol elements widely used in all mobile networks.
These functions include:
- Diameter Routing Agent (DRA) as specified by 3GPP
- Diameter Edge Agent (DEA) as specified by GSMA
- Subscription Location Function (SLF)
- Translation or Inter-Working Function (IWF)
- SS7 Signaling Transfer Points (STP)
- Local Number Portability solution when integrated with Sonus PSX
- Centralized Management via Sonus Insight EMS
Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) is playing an increasing role in today’s next generation and cloud networks. To bring to market the benefits of NFV, Sonus separated its field-proven Diameter software from the DSC 8000 hardware, and designed it to operate on industry standard Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) servers. DSC SWe is a complete feature-enabled SS7 STP and Diameter routing solution. By having a virtual, software only solution network operators have the ability to rapidly deploy DSC features and functionalities with greater flexibility. DSC SWe is cloud optimized to operate in orchestrated cloud deployment model.
The Sonus DSC platform, based on the Enhanced MicroTCA specification along with high performance processing and high-speed IP-based fabric switching, is highly tuned for Diameter routing applications.
The DSC 8000 is also available in multi-shelf configuration to provide extended scale and without having the overhead of managing additional network nodes.
Integration with Sonus Portfolio
Sonus' comprehensive Service Provider solutions includes DSC, PSX and SBC. The SBC and DSC are used together in VoLTE and IMS solutions to provide an all-IP based voice offering that includes HD voice. The PSX and DSC are integrated into Unified Policy and Signaling solution to consolidate legacy to next gen DB-based Signaling solutions. This allows operators to make investments today that can be used in future all-IP Service offerings. The Sonus Insight EMS has been deployed by Service Providers for over ten years and now includes the support for the DSC product family.