The core data and voice networks within most global telecommunications service providers are now predominantly IP based. Wherever possible, service providers are adopting IP due to cost advantages, the extended service reach it provides and its proven resiliency. While IP-based communications offer many significant benefits, at the interconnection point between peering partners, the use of IP comes with its own set of challenges.
- Securing the network border
- Enforcing Quality of Service policies
- Transcoding media and providing codec interworking, DTMF, fax interworking
- Traversing intermediate NAT and firewalls
- Ensuring regulatory compliance