With the growing trend of Enterprise migration of applications and data to the Cloud, the traditional routed network infrastructure is underutilized and has limited flexibility to handle rapidly changing traffic dynamics in a cost-efficient manner.
Just as enterprise and service providers have adopted software defined networking (SDN) in the data center, they are now discovering the value of SDN-based networking architectures that interconnect data centers and enterprise locations. This market is referred to as SD-WAN, but in reality the SD-WAN market has multiple definitions and use cases. Some SD-WAN solutions are built on top of legacy routers and switches that are provisioned and managed by a central controller. Some offer secure SD-WAN via dedicated IPSec appliances to connect branch offices. Some are CPE-based where the CPE connects over the Internet to a cloud-based server, basically SDN-as-a-Service. It is a confusing and fragmented market.
Analyst firm and publisher SDxCentral defines the SD-WAN market into 10 sub-markets. Applying SD-WAN where the interconnection of exchanges requiring availability, scalability, flexibility and private cloud bursting are fundamental requirements is called the Virtual Private Interconnect (VPI). VellOS represents the first Network Control Platform that supports private, hybrid, and public interconnection of exchanges based on the underlying network status/user policies and Network Function Virtualization (NFV) services, all built on merchant “white-box” hardware, that the traditional hardware-based routing and switching products cannot match.
VellOS is an application-aware, network intelligence engine that allows our customers to tailor their exchange interconnection services to deliver on-demand service creation for Cloud, data centers and enterprise applications and services. It provides simplified network operation through a policy-driven architecture with logically centralized resource control to automate and orchestrate delivery of just-in-time connectivity, improve business application performance, and optimize work load management.
- Enables IT to automatically utilize optimum network paths based on applications and available network resources
- Optimizes WAN utilization - mitigating unnecessary and costly overprovisioning and changing the way capacity planning is addressed
- Supports end-to-end monitoring and analytics to improve application performance proactively via FarSight, a NFV analytic tool for network, switch, port and flow statistics
- Improves security and disaster recovery
- Offers open Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) for custom interface design
- Enables consumption-based pay-as-you-go business models
- Ensures a user’s quality of experience (QoE) across the WAN
- Automated, intelligent network topology discovery
- Graphical User Interface (GUI) and Representational State Transfer (ReST) API-based configuration & provisioning tools
- Alternative path redundancy
- Dynamically configurable bandwidth